Monday, March 14, 2011

Slice #14 - Simmer













On Sunday, I bought the ingredients for lasagna.  That afternoon, I chopped the basil and parsley, browned the italian sausage and beef, sauteed it with the onions and garlic.  I slowly added the crushed tomatoes, sauces, and pastes.  I stirred in the sugar, salt, and pepper.  Then I let it simmer for an hour and a half. Then came the layering. Noodles, ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan, the sauce.  Fifty minutes in the oven.  Bubbly and golden cheese on top when the time dinged.

Did we enjoy the lasagna Sunday evening? No.  We shared a spicy tuna roll.  The lasagna? We saved it for tonight.  For that hour we have to spend together.  Sandwiched between afterschool meetings and evening pilates. 

This reminds me of the writing process.  Slowly adding in the ingredients.  Saving bits and pieces for that right moment when you might need it.  Letting it simmer.  Then, pulling it out at just the right time to savor it.

The sauce after simmering for 90 minutes

1 comment:

laurelwong said...

It is lovely you thought to make such a wonderful comfort food and that it fit in right between busy activity #1 and busy activity #2. I am amazed at how so many of the bloggers on SOLS take care of their families in this simple (but challenging) way. It's not always easy to pull this together day after day. I'm sure you know.