Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Wonder by RJ Palacio

Synopsis (from Author's website):
August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?

My Thoughts:
Wonder was powerful. RJ Palacio wrote a beautiful story about a beautiful human
.
I'm so glad my school librarian shared this book with me, and was even more excited when she told me that RJ Palacio was at Anderson's Bookshop the same week I bought the book. I hadn't even read it before the author visit, but I was moved by the stories that people shared and the emotion behind the questions that were asked. I began reading it immediately after.

This book has struck a chord with so many people that it has spurred an anti-bullying movement on tumblr called "Choose Kind". You can click the badge below and read more about the campaign.



If you have this book, move it to the top of your TBR pile. If you think you don't have time to read another book this summer, do yourself a favor and find a copy of Wonder.



In the Classroom:
Each chapter is written from the viewpoint of a different character in Auggie's life, but it starts with artwork of that character's likeness and is written in such a completely unique voice, that even younger readers will be able to follow the switches.

I hope every teacher picks up a copy of this book and finds some way to use it in their classroom. I plan on using it as a read aloud this year! The cover and chapter art is dynamic enough to be noticed just sitting on your shelf, but you may be surprised which kids will pick it up after you book talk it.

No comments: