Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tuesday Slice of Life 7/17/12



Today's slice is about hair.

Maybe everyone feels this way, but I have always struggled with my hair. It seems to me that I am never completely satisfied with my hair. Who is? When I visit my salon every few months, they seem surprised that I only want a cut. "No color?" "No, just a cut. Thanks." Walking past the women with tinfoil in their hair to get to the sinks is an exercise in self-control. If men only knew the lengths we went to.

For Christmas a few years ago, my dad wanted to know what I wanted for a gift. I suggested the type of hair dryer that my stylist uses. It was a very powerful Solano hair dryer. It was meant to be used multiple times a day, specifically for salons. It would be perfect for my thick, wavy, unruly hair. After all, it always did the trick at the salon! I had no idea how much it cost, but my dad braved the salon and went to purchase one.

It. Was. A. Miracle. I could blow dry my hair in less than 5 minutes, and I rarely needed a second tool to finish it. My previous hair prep included 10-15 minutes with the dryer, and another 10 with a curling iron or a straightener. My naturally wavy hair finally had the smooth finish I had been craving. This bliss lasted for 5 years.

Recently, my husband and I moved into a new place, and after bragging about my awesome 5 year old, beloved hair dryer, what happened? It finally burned out. I couldn't justify spending money to get another Solano when we were paying off bills and buying other things for our new home. I sucked it up and bought a $20 Conair. I'm shaking my head as I type this. How could I have fooled myself into thinking it could handle my hair? I think the hair dryer sensed my antipathy, because less than a week in, the button that recoils the cord broke. About 6 months later, the heat function completely died and I was in essence blowing room temperature air at my head with a scowl on my face. Needless to say, I was not psyched about spending 15 minutes drying my hair, just to spend another 10 straightening the train wreck on my head.

That lasted about a week when I decided it was time to go back to my long lost love. It was pricey, but I figure the number of years divided by the cost of it is even less than the Conair I had for 7 months. Totally worth it. Call me superficial, but life is just better when you like your hair!

My Solano Hair Dryer

2 comments:

OneSunflower said...

Hair is one of those topics isn't it - along with favorite coffee/tea cups, writing instruments, shoes..
I wish I'd had access to all the amazing hair products that are out now when I was younger. I can finally tame my willful curls.

writekimwrite said...

There are so many stressors in our lives that we can not control. When we can find a tool that makes life easier I say embrace it! It made me smile when you went back to your long lost love! I see you smiling with every use, too.