Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tuesday Slice of Life - Music's Romance Language

The Language of Music

I was a flute player in a former life. Recently, I have been playing with other musicians again, and the experience has reconnected me to the language of music. In my opinion, a romance language. I love these words.

My favorite music words
embouchure
accelerando
crescendo
pianissimo
timpani
piccolo
acompaniment
appoggiatura
arpeggio
cadenza
prestissimo
timbre

Got a favorite music word of your own?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Serenata- the name of my daughter's high school orchestra...

Nanc said...

Yep....staccatto (sp?) I love your words. xo nanc

Mandy said...

Creative slice and beautiful word choices! My favorite is "pianissimo." It makes me want to say it with an Italian accent :)

Anonymous said...

How about adagio - slow and restful, like the summer. Thoughtful post!

Paul said...

I love "Nocturne" -- in my mind, it's Chopin/beauty/darkness, beauty/darkness/Chopin.