Saturday, April 9, 2011

Slice #24 - The Sound of a New Book

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

I've been in a debate with myself for weeks over the decision to purchase an e-Reader.  I thought I could never enjoy the book experience digitally, but recently I have been branching out with my reading.  Not branching out through the genre I'm reading, but through the mode.  I just started my first audiobook (The Help by Kathryn Stockett)! I've read samples of books I might want to buy print copies of on the Kindle app on my iPhone (The New Sweet Valley Twins Confidential by Pascal and Unbroken by Hillenbrand)!

Now, I don't see my new obsession with these many modes of reading to be turning my back on the book.  On the contrary! I get to experience MORE books than ever before! I read while driving (audiobook). I read before bed (print book). I read wherever and whenever I have down time (iPhone). It's a bibliophile's dream! (daydream?)

Now, with all my gushing about my new multimodal reading habits, I have to share my favorite recent entcounter: the crack.

Yes, the crack.  It is one of my favorite sounds in the world.  It's a sound that can't be imitated by anything else.  (Wait, what is the sound of a black hole opening?)  Yes, it's the sound of opening a new book.  No matter how excited I get about my new reading experiences, this sound will always bring me back.  The print book will never go away, because I know that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

No comments: