Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco


Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco might have been a bad pick for my first summer read. Here's why:

It was awesome. I feel bad for the rest of my to-read list. My next books have big shoes to fill. Fancy, blood-spattered 19th-century shoes. 

When I saw this book at BEA, I had two thoughts: 1. Gorgeous cover. 2. Gorgeous title.
I mean, Jack the Ripper? You had me at hello. 

Stalking Jack the Ripper was everything I needed in a good YA Ripper book: a smart narrator, spooky London setting, and scalp-tingling JtR murdery grisliness. Some chapters featured a grainy black and white photo or diagram from the time period to set the mood and chapter numbers were set off with a blood spatter. Super creepy.

The plot was tight, the dialogue was witty, there was great tension between the main character and her love/hate interest. I actually giggled out loud in one scene. It was smart, scary, and suspenseful. 

I loved it. I can't wait for the final version. I can't wait to share it with my students in the fall! 

No comments: