Thursday, July 9, 2015

I HUNT KILLERS by Barry Lyga




On my way to nErDcampMI, I got sucked into Barry Lyga's I Hunt Killers (2012). It was so good, I'm pretty sure I was the only one who wished I could be on I-94 longer just so I could keep listening! I am a Jo Nesbo fangirl, so this story about the son of a notorious serial killer warmed my cold heart. It was sooo good, and sooo creepy. 

Spoiler!! Summary for myself:
Jasper (Jazz) Dent is the son of Billy Dent, the worst serial killer in history. The story starts four years after Billy is caught by the small-town sheriff of Lobo's Nod, where Jazz and Billy lived. Until then, Billy hadn't murdered locally to remain hidden. However, for some reason, he started breaking that rule and was caught. Jazz is now around 17, and lives with his senile Grandmother, Billy's mom in Lobo's Nod. Growing up, Billy ("Dear Old Dad") taught Jazz the ways of a serial killer. But Jazz is determined to resist what may or may not be the same urges his dad faced. He wants to use his insider knowledge to track down a copycat killer who has begun to mimic Billy's early murders. With the help of his best friend Howie, and against the wishes of his girlfriend, Connie, Jazz tracks down the murderer. Just in time for his dad to escape prison. There are gruesome details about the murders, rough language when Jazz faces his dad for the first time in years (only making that character even MORE vile), but it is very suspenseful and intriguing.

No comments: